Beth El Synagogue is proud of its wonderful building and sanctuary, including our several memorial boards. The first of the memorial boards was installed in the late 1930’s. Three boards were moved to the present location from the old Franklin Street (Hightstown) Synagogue in 1976. They were placed around the Sanctuary when it was refurbished in 1994. Boards numbered 1 to 5 are on the west side of the Sanctuary, with number 1 being closest to the Bimah. The last board, number 6, was installed in 2007 and is on the opposite wall.
Congregants are encouraged to remember loved ones by donating a plaque in their memory. For a one time charge, the plaque is made and installed. Individual plaques are installed where there is room, but every effort is made to locate family members together. The first year that the plaque is up, it and the person commemorated on it are recognized at the New Plaque Dedication ceremony just before the High Holidays at a special Friday night service.
The small neon lights on either side of the name are lit for the full Yahrzeit months as well as during the four Yizkor services during the year. In addition, the names on the plaques are listed in the weekly announcements the week before the Yahrzeit date. A letter is sent to the relative(s) on file to remind them of the date. Finally, the Book of Life compiled for Yom Kippur lists all of the plaque names.
Click here for a memorial plaque order form, or you can obtain a form from the Synagogue Office. It usually takes 2-3 months to have the plaque created and installed.